Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Coupon Craziness

For those of you who don't know yet, I've decided to take up my mother's passion of couponing.  Yes, I will admit I caught the fever after watching every episode of TLC's Extreme Couponing with my jaw hanging open.  I knew I would never get to be that good, but it would still help out a ton to save even a few bucks at the grocery store every week.

Well it turns out I've become mildly obsessed and am having way too good of a time reading blogs everyday in search of the good deals.

This week I noticed some really good buys in the Smith's ad (Fred Meyer to all you Oregon folk) and decided to capitalize on them.  The two cereals that Chris and I eat, as well as the laundry detergent I most frequently use were on sale if you buy 10 participating products.  I had six cereal coupons and one coupon for two laundry detergents.  I needed two more products to get the good sale price so I opted for the Red Baron pizza as I had a coupon off two as well.

Another good deal in the Ridley's store ad (mountain states only) was $1.78 for Skintimate shave gel.  I had printed six buy one, get one (B1G1) coupons the night before so I called mama Karen for confirmation that the price of $0.89 was right.

One last deal I was going to get were $1.00 off Duncan Hines frosting creations flavor packets found here.  Our Walmart has them on rollback for $0.84 so I would actually be making money back from buying these.

I know most people dislike Walmart intensely and I don't blame them.  However, my craving to score good deals outweighs my conscience.  It is by far the most convenient and cheapest place for me to go now with my coupon craziness because I get extra perks.  They price match to pretty much every store in the area and the Springville Walmart actually double coupons up to $1.00 on Tuesdays which allows me to get many free items.  I've gotten a bunch of lotion, deodorants, floss and toothpaste this way for nothing...I actually made money taking them out of the store.  It's so fun!  I think the double couponing thing is only at Utah County Walmarts and a few select others in different states.

The last thing I needed was a bribe for Christopher to come with me.  I really didn't feel like going and doing a bunch of price matching at the register by myself.  It's always less embarrassing when someone is there to share it with you.  I found this little nugget for a free triple chocolate hot cocoa at Arby's which is conveniently in the same parking lot as Walmart.  Score!  With a promise for his free hot cocoa after the trip I had him committed.

Here is my bounty:


(12) Skintimate Shave Gels (20% More Value Size) - Reg. $2.44 ea.
Price Matched: $1.78 at Ridley's
Used: (6) B1G1 Manufacturer Coupons
Final:  $0.89 each

(2) Duncan Hines Frosting Flavor Packs - Reg. $0.84 ea.
Used: (2) $1/1 Manufacturer Coupons
Final:  FREE + $0.32 overage

(2) ALL Laundry Detergent 40oz. - Reg. $4.97 ea.
Price Matched: $2.99 at Smith's
Used: (1) $2/2 Manufacturer Coupon
Final:  $1.99 each

(4) Honey Bunches of Oats GREEK - Reg. $2.98 ea.
Price Matched: $1.88 at Smith's
Used: (4) $1/1 Manufacturer Coupons
Final:  $0.88 each

(2) Post Shredded Wheat - Reg. $2.98 ea.
Price Matched: $1.88 at Smith's
Used: (2) $1/1 Manufacturer Coupons
Final:  $0.88 each

(2) Red Baron Classic Pizza - Reg. $2.98 ea.
Price Matched: $2.49 at Smith's
Used: (1) $1/2 Manufacturer Coupon
Final:  $1.99 each

Total before coupons:  $64.74
Total after coupons and overage:  $23.60

64% Savings!

While that is not the most impressive haul I've done so far, it felt like it was good one to share as it's all things we use on a regular basis (minus my moneymaker).

The one unfortunate happening of the trip was when we went to Arby's afterward to reward Chris for his deep love and commitment to make me happy, we found out that our Arby's apparently doesn't carry hot cocoa yet.  FAIL.

This is going to make it much harder to bribe him next time...

1 comment: