Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pallet Planter Boxes

Chris was telling me a few months ago about all the stacks of pallets that they have hanging around the building where he works.  I got so excited about all the endless possibilities of what we could make with them.  It's extremely hard to pick out one thing.

Here are a few of my favorites:







They are all so awesome!

We decided the best thing would be to use a majority of them to create planter boxes for our vegetable gardens this year to clean up the look of the garden and save some dough.  More on those later.

For my fun project I decided to make some mini planter boxes to spruce up the front porch a bit.  Mary sent me this link and it looked nice and easy so I went for it.

So again, I failed to take pictures of the process, my apologies.  I was so excited making these things I couldn't stop to go upstairs and grab the camera.  It was my first project using the miter saw and nail gun all by myself and I felt like such a grown up!

Here is what the first box looked like before it was stained.


The wood was actually in pretty darn good condition.  I was too busy making and not thinking about that whole "big picture, distressed, cool vibe" thing.  I should have thrown some chains and hammers on it to mess them up a bit more and stained before hand.  You live and learn, right?  Next time...

So here is that same box after it received a heavy stain.


Next step was to decide what to put in it.

I found inspiration from this picture in my March edition of Better Homes and Gardens.


I loved the look of the teal pot with coleus plants in it.  I figured the easiest way would be to buy a terra cotta pot and paint it.  I may or may not have gone a little too bright, but I can always tone it down later, right?

Here is the finished pot with the planter box.



I still have to bump up the other pot up and get them filled with pretty flowers, but considering it snowed here today, that may have to wait a few more weeks.

Anyone got some good flower suggestions while we wait?


No comments:

Post a Comment